Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Feeling the Need

I don't know if it is because today is 9-11 or because I'm feeling a sense of disconnection but today I woke up feeling like I need to do more. I need to volunteer my time. I need to do something. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day and forget that there are others who are much less fortunate than we are.

So right now I'm going to pledge that this year I will choose an angel from the Angel Tree and I'm going to look for a local charity or volunteer group in which I can include my family. Something that the children can participate in. It is important that children see that there are people who do not have the privileges that they do. To understand how lucky we are.

I'm open to suggestions for things apropriate for a 5 and a 3 year old...

2 comments:

Burbanmom said...

Jennifer,

Kudos! How great to get involved with something AND to have your kids help too!

I don't know if you have a "Chrismas Mother" type program where you are, but you get to adopt a child and fill their wish list (maybe you can get a few more families in on it to help -- our Moms Playgroup adopted a couple kids last year).

I've been thinking about adopting a platoon (www.adoptaplatoon.org) where you send our troops overseas monthly goodie packages. The kids could put in cards or artwork for the soldiers.

Another thought would be animal shelters -- if the kids like animals. You can gather blankets and dog toys each month (as well as some money, if you can) and then take the items down for the animals. Beware -- you may end up coming home with one though!

Hope you find a charity that you and the kids like to do! Be sure to post on it -- I'd love to hear what the kids think about it! :-)

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the ideas. The Chrismas Mother sounds a lot like the Angel Tree where you choose a child from the tree and it has a list of things that he/she needs or wants for Christmas. I almost signed us all up for a trail work day recently until the organizer said it wasn't a great project for kids. I'll keep looking and I try to remember to post.